One of the most common methods of injury in our society is the automobile from the lowly subcompact to the huge semis that cruise our highways, they are all capable of doing great injury or bringing death to those in their paths. We represent people who have been injured or the families of those who have been killed.
If you are injured in an accident, there are some steps that you can take to protect your legal rights.
1. Get uninjured passengers out of vehicle to the side of the road, safely away from the vehicle and oncoming traffic.
2. Call the police immediately. If a phone is not available, ask at least two people to call.
3. Call an ambulance if anyone is injured.
4. Mark the accident site with reflectors, if they are available to you, at least 300 feet towards oncoming traffic.
5. Get the names, addresses and phone numbers of witnesses.
6. Make short notes about the accident.
7. Report the accident to your insurance agent or company within 24 hours.
8. Don't make any statements about the accident to anyone but the police.
9. Don't accept any informal settlements.
10. I suggest that people purchase a disposable camera and leave it in their glove compartments and take pictures of the accident scene and the damage to vehicles at the time of the accident.
11. Find out when the accident report will be completed and retrieve it as soon as possible. Make sure that all of the information is correct and ask the investigating officer to correct any inaccurate information.
12. Consult with a lawyer before entering into any settlement.